Did you have an accident over Christmas?

As we pack away the Christmas decorations and reflect on the festive period, many of us enjoyed time with friends and family.

Not everyone has had a picture-perfect Christmas though. December is one of the busiest months in A&E. There are more road accidents in December than any other month and people tend to let their guard down more.

We outline some of the most common accidents during the Christmas break and show what you should do if you’ve had one.

Road accidents

You are more likely to have a car accident in December than in any other month.

This is down to a combination of poor weather conditions and an increased number of drivers on the road.

Alcohol is also a factor. Despite warnings, some drivers still end up behind the wheel after drinking. Often with disastrous consequences.


Cases of pedestrian incidents also increase during the winter months. Darker mornings and evenings reduce visibility. It’s an area that the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents campaigns against every year. It wants to scrap the bi-annual clock change.

Slips, trips, and falls

Poor weather can lead to treacherous conditions which increase the likelihood of falls. The council has no obligation to grit but there is a duty on private landowners to make their property safe.

If you slipped on the car park at work you would have a case. It is your employer’s duty to ensure the premises are fit for purpose.

Christmas parties

Workplace Christmas parties are in full swing over the Christmas period. Usually with increased alcohol consumption.

If your employer holds the party in an external venue, it is the venue’s responsibility to ensure the safety of attendees.

Many employers send out ‘dos and don’ts before the party to encourage staff to behave responsibly.

What to do if you have had an accident over the Christmas period

If you have had an accident, we hope you sought medical attention. If not, please speak to your GP immediately.

Make sure your GP records details of your injuries on your medical record.  This is important if you would like to pursue a compensation claim.

If you haven’t done already, you must then complete the following steps:

  • Report your injuries
  • Document your injuries in writing
  • Take photographs of your injuries and the place of the accident
  • Get witness details if possible
  • Get medical evidence
  • Record any expenses incurred because of the accident
  • Record any financial losses
  • Are you entitled to sick pay or statutory benefits?

NV Legal

NV Legal’s solicitors work with you to achieve the best possible outcome. Experienced in dealing with personal injury cases, including accidents at work.

Consultations are FREE of charge and advice is from qualified solicitors, regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

Contact us today:

Call – 03330 112732

Email – info@nvlegal.co.uk

Website – www.nvlegal.co.uk

Find us on social media – Facebook LinkedIn