Violent crime compensation

Victims of violent crimes are often left with physical or mental scars which can be life changing. While the trauma of the crime can affect both the injured person and their loved ones.

The recent case of Sarah Everard put a spotlight on criminal injuries against women and several women have reported cases as a result.

Diana Fawcett, chief executive at independent charity Victim Support, said: “Now more than ever we must work to end male violence against women and girls. No woman should feel afraid of harassment or violence when walking down the street.

“Our Support line has been receiving calls from those affected by sexual harassment, and we encourage women, and anyone affected to do the same. We are independent of the police and can provide you with advice and guidance, practical help, and emotional support for as long as you need it.”

Violent crime not only involves women but can also affect men and children. Examples of such crimes include:

  • Violent assault
  • Domestic violence
  • Rape or sexual assault
  • Historic child abuse
  • Knife crime
  • Acid attacks
  • Mugging/robbery
  • Manslaughter or murder
  • Anti-social behaviour
  • Arson
  • Hate crime
  • Modern Slavery
  • Stalking or harassment
  • Terrorist attacks


The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) is a government organisation. It provides compensation for victims of violent crimes. If you have experienced any of the following, you could claim compensation:

  • mental or physical injury following a crime of violence
  • sexual or physical abuse
  • loss of earnings – where you have no or limited capacity to work as the direct result of a criminal injury
  • special expenses payments – these cover certain costs you may have incurred as a direct result of an incident. You can only consider special expenses if your injuries mean you have been unable to work or have been incapacitated to a similar extent for more than 28 weeks
  • a fatality caused by a crime of violence including bereavement payments, payments for loss of parental services or financial dependency and funeral payments (Source CICA)

The incident must have been reported to the police and you should ensure you have a crime reference number.  It is crucial to keep a record of what has happened and as much evidence as possible.

You can still claim for compensation even if the police have not charged the person responsible for your injuries.

The CICA will assess your claim, consider whether medical or other evidence is required and will make an award based on its tariff scheme. You do not claim compensation from the person involved in the assault.

Our solicitors have extensive experience in pursuing claims under the CICA compensation scheme. We will submit your application to the CICA, guide you through the claims process and provide specialist advice in relation to any award offered.

In general, you have two years from the incident to apply for compensation. There are exceptions for children.

For more information, contact NV Legal for a FREE confidential consultation:

Call – 03330 112732

Email –

Website –

Find us on social – Facebook Twitter LinkedIn


Victim Support